- 3/4 cup Hershey’s unsweetened cocoa
- 3 cups sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts or pecans, optional
How To Make Hershey’s Cocoa Fudge
- Line an 8 inch square baking dish or pan with foil. Allow the foil to hang over the sides. Lightly grease the foil with butter.
- Add cocoa, sugar, salt and milk to a medium heavy saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat stirring constantly. This will take up to five minutes. Once mixture comes to a boil, continue cooking without stirring until mixture reaches 234 degrees on a candy thermometer or forms a soft ball in cold water.
- Remove from heat and transfer pan to a sink with at least two inches of cold water. Add the butter and vanilla but do not stir. Allow pan to set in cold water until mixture reaches room temperature.
- Remove pan from cold water. Using a wooden spoon mix to incorporate the melted butter and vanilla. Beat the mixture with a wooden spoon until the mixture begins to lose its shiny glossy appearance and starts to take on a satiny sheen appearance. This can take a while. See notes below the recipe.
- Add nuts if using, and immediately spread fudge into the prepared dish. Allow to sit for at least an hour before cutting into pieces.
- Store in a candy tin or airtight container.