- 1 yellow onion diced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 6 oz. andouille sausage sliced into coins
- 2 celery ribs diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1/4 tsp sweet paprika
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts cubed
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp or to taste, Cajun seasoning
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 c. low-sodium fat-free chicken broth
- 1 14.5-ounces can diced tomatoes
- 1 c. long grain rice
- 1 pound shrimp peeled and deveined
- 2 bell peppers diced (you can use red, green, yellow, etc.)
- dried parsley for garnish
- 2 green onions thinly sliced, for garnish
- salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
How To Make Jambalaya
Step 1: Heat the olive oil in a large Dutch oven over medium heat. Once the oil is hot, add the onions, celery, and bell peppers to the pot and season with salt and pepper. Cook the onions, celery, and bell peppers for about 4 minutes until just tender. Then, stir in the garlic and continue to cook for a minute more.
Step 2: To the pot, add the chicken. Sprinkle with sweet paprika and oregano. Stir and cook for about 5 minutes or until the chicken is browned.
Step 3: Now, add the prepared sausage and tomato paste. Stir and continue to cook for an additional minute before adding in the chicken broth, crushed tomatoes, rice, and Cajun seasoning.
Step 4: Bring everything to a boil, then adjust the heat to medium-low. Put the lid on and cook for another 20 minutes or until the rice is tender and most of the liquid has been absorbed.
Step 5: To the pot, add the shrimp and cook for 4 to 5 minutes more or until the shrimp is cooked through and pink. When done, take the Jambalaya off the heat and serve immediately garnished with some sliced green onions and dried parsley.